Information about public houses etc that have been part of the Blyth scene over the years.
Many of the buildings can be viewed in the gallery “Buildings of Blyth”.
If you have any information or pictures of these old pubs and clubs please send them in.
Astley Arms: Seaton Sluice, on the site of the Boiling Well which closed 1910.
Bar BHT: Bridge Street, refer to ‘The Quay’, ‘Brewery Bar’ and Boathouse Tavern for its chequered history.
Bebside & Cowpen Social Club: In the Sidney Hall 1951-58.
Bebside Inn: Situated just over the railway lines on Bebside Front Street. This pub has had more lives than a cat!!, opened once more in early 2011 under new management.
Bebside Memorial Club & Institute: After a major fire it was closed in 1970, reopened 1974 as the Bebside Social Welfare Centre.
Bebside Social Welfare Centre: After the original building was destroyed by fire, a smaller purpose built club was formed. Club went into decline and closed in 2013, land sold for redevelopment.
BeeJays Night Club: Stanley Street. Blyth’s only Nite Spot. (closed)
Blackbull: Sussex Street.
Blagdon Arms: Burt Street. Closed 1971.
Blyth & District Club Social Club: Keelman’s Terrace, closed and demolished in 2010/11.
Blyth Golf Club: Plessey Road.
Blyth Rugby and Cricket Club: Plessey Road.
Blyth Spartans Social Club: Croft Park.
Blyth Spartans AFC Supporters Club: Croft Park
Blyth and Tyne: Turner/Regent Street, named after the railway company which build the original rail link to Blyth from Newcastle.
Blyth Sports and Social Club: Coomassie Road.
Blyth United Services Club: Bowes Street.
Boathouse Tavern: Bridge Street. This pub was probably built in the late 17th century. It is believed to be the oldest building in Blyth. A brewery was once attached to the rear of the building, though this has now been demolished. This is a Grade II listed building protected by law.
Boiling Well: Seaton Sluice, see Astley Arms.
Brewery Bar: Bridge Street, renamed ‘Pilot Cutter’ 1967.
British Rail Staff Association: (Blyth) (Bandroom) Edward Street, closed and demolished, a care home now occupies the site.
British Rail Staff Association (North Blyth): opened 1954.
Brown Bear Inn: High Pans North Blyth.
Buffalo: Regent Street, rebuilt 1899. Now in use as the Buffalo Community Centre.
Cambois Social Club: Opened 1911.
Commercial Inn: Regent (Turner) Street, closed 1973.
Conservative Club: Formerly ‘Constitutional’ Croft Road.
Cowpen Colliery Inn: Marlowe Street the present building dates from 1900 when it was built as the Cowpen Colliery Hotel. Throughout most of its life this pub has always been known as The ‘Top House’ and that applies today.
Cowpen Coronation Club: King Street, club closed and the building used by various businesses.
Cowpen & Newsham Comrades Club: Wright Street. Name change 1970?
Croft Arms: Regent Street. The name of the pub was changed to The Porthole in 1974. In 1996 the name was changed again to ‘Joe Cavner’s’ after the owner’s late father. Later it became the Reef Hotel, and is now a Bed and Breakfast .
Delaval Arms: Old Hartley.
Dirty Nelly’s Irish Pub: Within the Star and Garter Hotel, Bridge Street.
Duke of Wellington Club: Cowpen Road, North Farm (Burt Street from 1903 -1963).
Dun Cow Inn: Low Quay, formerly the Brown Cow.
Folly Inn: Shankhouse. closed 1989 [Demolished]
Foresters Arms: Cowpen Road, Kitty Brewster.
Fox & Hounds: King Street, [Demolished]
Globe: Waterloo Road. [Closed]
Golden Fleece Inn: Cowpen Square, [Demolished]
Grey Horse: …………
Gwentland Hotel: Wensleydale Terrace, renamed as The Ridley Park Hotel, building demolished 2013.
Half Moon Inn: Is shown at on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1865.
High Street Social Club: Formerly Bolckow’s.
Horse & Waggon: King Street, [Demolished]
Irish Club: Wright Street, [Demolished]
Joe Cavner’s: Regent Street.
Joiners Arms: Coomassie Road.
Kings Arms: Seaton Sluice. Directory of 1827 mentions the Post Office.
Kings Head: Northumberland/Bridge Street, rebuilt 1894. [Closed]
Kitty Brewster Hotel: Cowpen Road, Bebside. Opened originally before 1873, name changed in 1976 from ‘Foresters Arms’. In 2010 changed it’s name to The Kitty Brewster Inn.
Kitty Brewster Inn: Cowpen Road, Bebside. Opened originally before 1873, name changed in 1976 from ‘Foresters Arms’, to Kitty Brewster Hotel. In 2010 changed name again to the Kitty Brewster Inn. [Closed] and changed into retail shop unit.
Labour Club: Thoroton Street [Closed]
Last Orders: Regent Street, previously called The Pullman.
Laurel & Hardy’s: Regent Street
Link House: (Previously Half Moon?)
Lord Nelson: (Formerly ‘Dock House’?) High Quay.
Market Hotel: Opened in Market Street before 1873 and was closed in 1982. The ‘Market’ was one of the town centre pubs which closed due to lack of customers. Others which closed for the same reason include: The Globe, The White Swan, The Station Hotel and The Commercial Inn. Was an Iceland frozen foods store until 2015, now used by Savers.
Masons Arms: Plessey/Coomassie Road.
Melton Constable: Seaton Sluice.
Miners Arms: Marlow Street, next door to the Cowpen Colliery Inn, now closed and demolished.
Miners Arms: Newsham.
Miners Welfare Cowpen & Crofton: Renwick Road, [Closed] now used by Homes For Northumberland.
Nags Head: ……
New Delaval and Newsham Workmen’s Club: Wharton Street Newsham, known locally as (the side club).
Newsham Discharge Soldiers & Sailors Victory Club: The Vic.
Newsham Hotel: Carr Street.
Nikhs: Stanley Street, Blyth’s No 1 nightclub previously BEEJAYS
North Farm: (Temple’s Farm) situated on Cowpen Road at the top of Hodgon’s Road, [Closed] now Kwikfit occupy the site – 2008 – 2017.
Northumberland Arms: ……
Oddfellows Arms: Northumberland/Bridge Street rebuilt 1887. It closed in June 2010 and reopened again under the same name with new owners August 2010
Olivers Wine Bar: Bridge Street, owned and run by local businessman Ron McCall.
Percy Arms: Brierley Road, Cowpen, previously named as the Red House.
Pilot Cutter: (ref Brewery Bar).
Pineapple Inn: Regent/Turner Street, [Closed], building now used by National & Westminster Bank.
Port of Call: Was previously the “Eagle”, opened and closed within six months in 2016.
Post Office: Bridge Street, built as the owner believed on the premises of the old post office in Freehold Street, the actual original site is adjacent to the new public house.
Prince of Wales: Waterloo Road.
Queens Head: King Street [Closed], now a Chinese restaurant.
R.A.F. Club: ……
Railway Hotel: Regent/Turner Street.
Red House: Cowpen Estate, see also Percy Arms.
Ridley Arms: Cambois.
Ridley Park Hotel: Wensleydale Terrace. Changed its name from the Gwentland Hotel in 1979 when it gained its first liquor license, [Closed], and demolished 2013.
Rose & Crown: Kitty Brewster.
Royal Engineers Association Club: Stanley Street, previously Percy Street.
Seaton Sluice Social Club: (Waterford Club 1913 – 1959)
The Ship: Was situated in Albert Street and faced the shipyard gates, it was formerly known as the Plessey Sports Club. The Ship Inn at Crofton is marked at this site on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1865. There is nothing to be seen at the site now.
Sidney Arms: Cowpen Road, demolished 2003, now a housing estate.
South Beach: South Beach Estate, built in 1977.
Station Hotel: Church Street [Closed], now a building society.
Steamboat Inn: (Star & Garter) Bridge Street, closed in 2010 currently being renovated for NaRec as a hostel facility for their work personnel.
Sun Inn: Gregory Street.
Taplow’s Wine Bar: Corner of Maddison Street & Regent Street. Closed and demolished.
The Black Diamond: Carr Street, Newsham. [Closed] now renovated as a local General Dealers shop.
The Croft: Regent Street. The name of the pub was changed to The Porthole in 1974. In 1996 the name was changed again to ‘Joe Cavner’s’ after the owner’s late father.
The Dun Cow: The Dun Cow on the quayside. Closed and demolished.
The Eagle: Cowpen Farm Estate. Built in 1974 – for one year 1974-1975 it was called Ye Olde England, then changed to The Golden Eagle, then called The Eagle. Now renamed as The Port of Call
The Flying Horse: Waterloo Road.
The Gladstone Arms: Burt Street.Closed and demolished.
The Horse and Wagon: The public house is marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1865. There is nothing to be seen at the site now.
The Isabella: Southend Ave.
The Kings Arms: Cowpen Road.
The Pullman: Regent Street, closed in 2010, now renamed as Last Orders.
The Quay: Bridge Street, originally the Blyth and Tyne Brewery built in 1784,used as a brewery until 1916. It was known as the Brewery Bar, then the Boat House Tavern then Bar BHT and now it is called The Quay.
The Reef: Regent Street(Formerly Joe Caner’s Bar). Closed and now a hostel.
The Ridley Arms: Built as a private house in 1788 for George Marshall a local ship owner and rope maker. It became a public house in the early 19th century and closed in 1965, the license was transferred to the Seahorse Hotel on the 6th May 1966 and the building demolished in 1968.
The Royal Tavern: (Formerly The Royal Tavern Hotel) corner of Plessey Road and Beaconsfield Street.
The Sea Horse: Plessey Road, the license was transferred from the Ridley Arms on 6th May 1966, the Ridley in Old Northumberland Street was demolished shortly after in 1968.
The Seven Stars: North Blyth, The Seven Stars public house was opened before 1822 and closed in 1967. It was very popular with seamen waiting for their ships to be loaded with cargoes of coal from the Staiths on the north side of the river. At the demise of the coal industry the number of customers was so reduced it resulted in its closure.
The Spartan Hotel: Twelfth Ave.
The Top House: The present building dates from 1900 when it was built as the Cowpen Colliery Hotel. Throughout most of its life this pub has always been known as The ‘Top House’ and that applies today.
The Waterloo: Havelock Street.
The Willow Tree: Newsham.
Thoroton Hotel: Renwick Road. Closed as a public house and now ran as a B&B.
Three Horseshoes: High Horton, Bebside.
Time Out: King Street.
Travellers Rest: Regent Street, the pub was opened before 1873, rebuilt in 1897 and demolished in September 1998. It was originally one of the finest buildings in Blyth but never achieved its full potential as a hotel. After a chequered career, and standing derelict for several years, it was finally demolished in 1998.
Tyne: Headquarters of the Royal Northumberland Yacht Club.
Turks Head: Newsham.
Victoria Inn: (Gregory Street?)
Waggon Inn: (near Police Station)
Waterford Arms: Seaton Sluice.
Waterloo Social Club: Waterloo Road, (Meldram House/formerly Buffalo Club)
Westoe: Burt Street.
White Swan: Waterloo Road.
Windmill Inn: Cowpen Road, closed and reopened as a Spar shop in 2016.
Ye Olde England: Built in 1974 for one year until 1975 it was called Ye Olde England then changed its name to The Golden Eagle. More recently it has changed names again to The Eagle.