There has never been a better time to move to Blyth, with regeneration initiatives and new estates being build our wonderful town is only going in one direction.
With a population of over 40,000 we are a medium sized town north of newcastle upon tyne. Blyth is a friendly and diverse community.
Crime rates in Blyth
Crime rates in Blyth has always been higher than other areas of the north east of England but has been reducing steadlily over recent years (source)
Housing in Blyth
There is plenty of houses for sale and to rent in and around Blyth. With an average house price of £128,000 and an average private rental cost of £550 per month the area is certainly affordable. With local transport links to Newcastle city center and the beach on your door step what more could you ask for. We spoke with a local mortgage expert from getmemymortgage.co.uk about blyth who said ‘ Blyth is a great area house’s don’t stay on the market too long due to the lower cost when compared to similar areas such as cramlington and ashington. With the regeneration and more people moving in and the local economy growing it could be an ideal place for property investors to purchase.
If you are looking for a more luxurious location and area the surrounding areas open up to a more luxury setting. With beach and country side surrounding Blyth there is plenty of fine properties to view.
Blyth has fantastic links to the rest of the north east through bus routes and the metro, this means that it is becoming a bit of a commuter hotspot and the unemployment rate in Blyth is dropping year on year.
If you have anymore questions or would like some advice on the local areas please get in touch.
200 years ago Captain William Smith, raised the funds to build a state of the art sailing vessel to embark on a voyage to trade around the world from Blyth. He rounded Cape Horn (the most treacherous seas in the world) traded the west coast of South America, avoided buccaneers and French blockades and famously discovered the Southern Shetland Islands in the Antarctic Ocean. How was that for enterprise, adventure and the use of renewable energy? A message from our Patron, The Duchess of Northumberland: ‘Tall ships, adventure, saving the planet and active learning, all aimed at getting young people in to new jobs. This is an inspirational project for Northumberland and we should all back it’.
As it is today:
Today Blyth is suffering 3rd generation unemployment after the collapse of the coal and ship building industries with many young people struggling to identify with their future and aspire to the opportunities that are developing in the port.
What’s happening now:
The light at the end of the tunnel is the emerging Off Shore and engineering industry that is growing in the area, including Clipper (Wind turbine Company), Alnmaritec (Aluminium Boat Builder), MTL (Bespoke Steel Manufacturer). Tharsus (General Engineering Company) and The Port of Blyth all of whom are growing and taking on more people.
Blyth – The future for employment:
Sadly, there is a skills gap between those leaving formal education and these emerging businesses and we believe that the Blyth Tall Ship project is a catalyst and inspiration for change, by promoting an awareness of Blyth’s maritime tradition and creating pathways to future jobs in the maritime sector.
A positive beginning:
“We are committed to assisting people with training to help them get into work and the Blyth Tall Ship project will help us to inspire those hard to reach groups” – ‘Colin Bassam’ Head of Port of Blyth’s award winning Port Training Services team.
Want to be part of it? :
Why not join our ‘Friends of Blyth Tall Ship’ group? The Friends of Blyth Tall Ship come from all walks of life and have a broad range of skills. They meet regularly and currently help with the maintenance of the workshop, fundraising, course support and finding and delivering boats for refurbishment to our site. We are currently looking for retired engineers who might be interested in teaching skills to the next generation and sharing their thoughts and enthusiasm with them as well as working on traditional boat restorations in our workshop.
Why not get involved, help us with our funding or join the Facebook page, ‘Friends Of Blyth Tall Ship’. The project is also looking for volunteers to be trained in archive research and the creation of oral histories from July 2012, that will result in a review of the Port’s Archive and a mobile museum and video histories about ship building in Blyth.
Telling the story of the development of Blyth as a major town in Northumberland
Records indicate that the harbour was in use in medieval times and that the town of Blyth was first chronicled in 1208. The town took its name from the River Blyth. The word Blyth is said to mean ‘white water’. A sandy strip of land which then jutted out into the bay of the river from the links to the south was the beginning of the town. Blyth was then, and for centuries after, cut off from Cowpen. A tidal inlet, running parallel to the river from its bend to the south, covered what is now Cowpen Quay, Post Office Square and Beaconsfield Street, and ran down behind Crofton Mill Pit. On this narrow strip of land, bound almost entirely by water at high tide, there were a few salt pans at which valuable salt was produced by evaporating sea water. Around them were one or two cottages, the homes of a few fishermen and those who tended the pans. The construction of a formal harbour was complete in 1730 with a coaling quay, a ballast quay, a pilots watch house and a lighthouse. The first breakwater was built in 1765 and the first staith with an elevated loading point in 1788. The growth of the port into a modern harbour began with the incorporation of commissioners in 1882 enabling the port to be developed in the form of a Trust. Prior to 1907, two market places were in operation, one at Cowpen – so named from the ancient art of ‘couping’ or bartering and the second at Blyth. After 1907 the market was established as it is today.
Also a famous submarine base in two World Wars, the service was granted the Honorary Freedom of the Borough of Blyth Valley in 1979 with the honour conveyed upon HMS Onslaught, an ‘O’ Class Submarine – now sadly out of service and broken up. A tradition on board was that the ship’s bell was used for christenings of the children of the commander of the day. When she was broken up this bell was presented to Blyth Valley Council and it resides in the Mayor’s Parlour in the Civic Centre in Blyth. The names of children and dates of their christenings can be seen engraved inside the bell. Traditional industries through the centuries of shipbuilding, coal-mining, foundry work dominated and the shipyard at Blyth was renowned as the largest in the North East until its closure in 1967. The second Ark Royal having been built at Blyth in 1914. In 1974 local government reorganisation saw the joining together of the Borough of Blyth, Seaton Valley District Council and part of Whitley Bay Urban District Council to form the Borough of Blyth Valley.
The closure of Bates Colliery in 1986 ended the long tradition of coal-mining in the borough with it a strengthening of the council’s Economic Development strategies in a resolve to bring new employment to the town. The closure of the colliery also brought with it the demise of the Cowpen and Crofton Miners’ Welfare on Renwick Road in the Town completed in 1925 which had been the social centre for the mining community and which had been paid for by subscriptions deducted from the wages of the mining fraternity. However, the Council, seeing the need to bring several of its departments together, bought the building and extended it to suit the needs of a modern day Civic Centre. The building was officially opened on 8th June 1990 by Neil Kinnock M.P. the then Leader of Opposition. He viewed it as a most marvellous way of preserving and enhancing a lovely old building rather than going down the road of new build as so many other authorities had done. The opening of the Keel Row Shopping Centre in 1990 brought major high street retailers to the town to join those rather more local and traditional traders and the busy market place in the centre of town which operates on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays throughout the year. An exciting feature of the north bank pier of the river Blyth is the Wind farm. Nine windmills generate electricity linked to the National Grid.
Hughes Bolckow formerly Messrs, Hughes, Bolckow, and Co., Limited was a well-known shipbreaking company based out of Blyth, Northumberland. Intending to create an industrial park for dismantling obsolete warships in 1911, the company leased 6 acres (2.4 ha) of land from Lord Ridley and the Blyth Harbour Commissioners. The company was responsible for scrapping a number of famous Royal Navy ships including HMS Britannia. In response to requests from customers, the company created a series of “choice Antiques” from the fine old seasoned timber they possessed from the old HMS Britannia. The company even had a Ship Timber Department that would create articles manufactured from teakwood taken from obsolete battleships and preserved in “Solignum”. During World War I Messrs, Hughes, Bolckow, and Co., Limited experimented with employing women in jobs that were traditionally reserved for men. By 1916 13% of the workforce were women, in 1960 The Hughes Bolchow Shipbreaking Co., Ltd., of Blyth changed its name to Hughes Bolckow Ltd. so as to serve notice that although its main activity was still in shipbreaking, the company was branching out.
Ship building as an industry developed in Blyth from the middle of the 18th century. Between 1789-1799, 35 Blyth built ships were recorded in the Newcastle Register, that being the nearest port of registry. At the turn of the century there were four shipyards all of which were busy – Hannay, Watson, Stoker and Watts. Through the 1800’s many ships were built for customers from all over the world, Colliers, Tramp Steamers and Cargo-Liners, were build for Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Dutch, Russian, Cuban and Australian companies. During World War I nine tramps and colliers were completed as well as four torpedo boat destroyers including “Verbena” and the surveying vessel “Merry Hampton”. Perhaps the most famous ship to be built at Blyth was completed in December 1913 for Daniel Stephens. The Newcastle tramp steamer “Ryton” was actually purchased on the stocks by the Admiralty in May 1914, before its owners could take delivery. It was launched on 5th September 1914 as the seaplane carrier “Ark Royal” and commissioned three months later. It served throughout World War I, carrying eight seaplanes in its hold. These were lifted by cranes into the sea and back on board again. In 1923 Ark Royal was converted into a depot ship and re-named “Pegasus”, which served as a catapult ship and accommodation during World War II. From 1937, a large number of boom defence vessels, minesweepers and other craft were built for the Admiralty. These included five River Class frigates and Castle Class frigates. Commercial shipbuilding did continue after World War II, but gradually declined through the late fifties and into the sixties, when the last yard finally closed in March 1967.
Coal Mining 2
The first mines in the area were sank by the Ridley family in the mid 18th century. These were shallow workings at Plessey Checks and Bassington Farm and at one time there were 18 separate pits being worked. Some of the names were: West Pit, Rodney Pit, South Pit, Rising Sun Pit, Hall Pit and Success Pit. Most of the coal from these pits was despatched by sea from Blyth. Originally the coals were transported in carts and in panniers on horseback, but eventually the Plessey Waggonway was established and ran from Plessey Checks past Bog Houses, New Delaval and what is now Plessey Road, down to the River Blyth. Most of the way was leased under ‘wayleave’ from Lord Delaval and records show that between 1750-1760 the cost of the lease was £300 per annum. Mining continued to develop in the area, with networks of Waggonways connecting the pits to shipping ports at Blyth and Newcastle and new deep mines beginning to be sunk from the early 1800’s. The growth of the industry reflected the ready markets that existed for coal, especially in London. By 1826 the capital was importing 2 million tons of coal by sea and of this only 125,000 tons (6.25%) came from other coalfields. The earliest deep mines were recorded in the Cowpen and Cramlington areas, these being sunk from around 1800. Mine owners built small terraced houses for the miners around the new pits and created mining villages such as East Cramlington, Shankhouse and East Hartford. During the 1860’s West Cramlington had the honour of starting the first ever Co-operative Society in the two counties. (Fynes – The Miners of Northumberland & Durham 1873). Up until that time miners could only obtain provisions from the pit owners’ stores. A small group of men had discussed the possibility of setting up a provisions shop for the miners. There followed several meetings of large groups of workers and the group finally subscribed a fund of £20. They took a small room at Cramlington Village and set up shop with second-hand fixtures at a cost of £7, then two of the members were appointed to go to Newcastle and make the first purchases. Some of the local shopkeepers said the men were lunatics and they became known as the ‘madcap’s’, however they returned from Newcastle with merchandise which was sold out within a week. They guarded the shop at nights with a rifle for fear that it would be robbed, but none were attempted. They continued for their first three months doubling and trebling their orders until the first dividend was declared, silencing the prophets of doom. The numbers of members increased rapidly as initial caution waned in the light of regular division of profits among members. Within a few short years virtually every village in the two counties of Northumberland and Durham either had its own Store or was connected with a nearby one. On 16/01/1862 at Hartley Colliery, 204 men and boys died in one of the most appalling mining catastrophes in the annals of this country. The colliery was working with only one shaft in which was also fixed a set of pumps. The beam supporting the pump engine[which was the largest and most powerful in the north, weighing more than 40 tons] suddenly and without warning broke in two. One half plunged down the shaft, ripping off the stone and timber that protected the walls, carrying pipes, gearing and hundreds of tons of debris in its descent. The accident happened just after the back shift men had gone down to relieve the fore shift. It was six days before a way could be made through the debris and by then all 204 men and boys down the pit had died, suffocated by poisonous gases. Nine days after the accident a large public meeting of miners from all pits in the area, was held at Newcastle. A petition was drawn up demanding that two shafts to every pit be made compulsory by law, and as a direct result an Act was passed to that effect, later that year. Mining flourished in the region with pits being worked at Blyth, Bebside, Cowpen, Crofton Mill, Isabella, East Hartford, Nelson Village, New Hartley, Seaton Delaval, and Seghill, from those early days through to 1986, when the last working pit in the area, Bates Colliery was finally closed down.
A brewery was first recorded at Blyth in the early 18th century, which supplied a small number of local public houses and ships using the harbour. A lease from 1725 shows this to have been a small scale enterprise. As Blyth grew a larger brewery was built between 1784-86, behind Queens Lane and the Brewery Bar public house. Henry Ridley leased the new brewery and 23 pubs, 12 of which were in Blyth. All were tied to the brewery for supplies. The brewery survived through to the early 20th century, however in common with many other smaller breweries, changing conditions and wartime restrictions eventually forced its closure in 1916. The brewery never re-opened, however the old Brewery Bar pub survives to this day as The Quay.
Blyth Power Station was situated at Cambois in Northumberland on the northern bank of the River Blyth between the tidal estuary and the North Sea. The site comprised two stations, Blyth ‘A’ and Blyth ‘B’, with a combined generating capacity of 1180 megawatts. The 241 acre site was divided by the Bedlington-Cambois road. The coal handling installations lay to the north side of the road and the two main station buildings to the Southside. The increasing demand for power in the immediate post-war period led to the then existing North Eastern stations, of Dunston and North Tees, being extended and new stations being built on the Tyne at Stella North and South. The plant installed in these stations was of relatively small output but of well proven design, to enable the demand for power to be met quickly. Blyth saw the dawn of the new era in power station design and technology with the installation of larger and more efficient plant. It was initially planned to build a station containing 6 x 100MW turbo- generators. This was changed to suit new advances made in design, first to 6 x 120MW units and then finally to 4 x 120MW units with a ‘B’Station containing 2 x 275MW units and 2 x 350MW units. Ministerial consent was given for the building of the ‘A’ Station in February 1955 and all units were commissioned by June 1960. The four ‘B’ Station units were installed and commissioned by September 1966. At the times of their installation both ‘A’ Station Unit 1 and Station Unit 5 were the largest in ‘ the country. The 2x275MW units (5 & 6) on ‘B’ Station were decommissioned on grounds of economy in 1991.
Power Stations & The Grid
More than 50 years ago the interconnected grid system first linked power stations and local areas so that they could help each other over difficult periods and transfer energy when it was economical to do so. During the 1939-45 War the role of the grid changed from an area to a national facility and electricity was first transmitted over long distances. The National Grid Control Center, works through four area grid control centers. It arranges for plant in power stations to be run in the most economic order possible to meet the constantly changing demand and is also responsible for the operation of the grid system, which is the largest in the world. National Power at present uses coal, oil, gas, water or wind power as fuel. Its power stations range in size from small hydro-electric units to the largest coal-fired plant in Western Europe. National Power competes with other generating companies and sells almost all of its output through the new wholesale market for electricity called ‘the pool’ It has contracts to supply its main customers, the twelve regional electricity companies of England and Wales with nearly 90% of its output. As well as its main customers, National Power has contracts to supply electricity directly to large consumers.
The Functions Of This Transmission Grid Are:
National Power’s Energy Management Centre bids into the electricity ‘pool To interconnect power stations and cut down the amount of reserve plant needed nationally. To make most use of stations with the lowest costs. To transfer power from one part of the country to the other. The National Grid Company is responsible for almost eleven thousand miles of overhead grid lines. Producing almost half of the electricity for England and Wales, National Power is one of the largest privately owned generating companies in the world. Its aim is to become the best.
Civil Engineering Work
A layer of strong boulder clay, about 70ft thick overlying sandstone and coal provides a bearing medium amply capable of supporting the station. The main foundations are spread to load the clay to about 2.3 tonne per square foot, adjustments having been made according to the depth, size and shape of individual foundations. The A Station turbine hall is 394ft long by 122ft wide by 85ft high and is constructed of reinforced concrete frames clad with brickwork. The boiler house (362ft long by 93ft wide by 157ft high) is of steel frame construction with aluminum cladding. The main buildings of the ‘B’ Station comprise a 675ft long by 166ft wide by 100ft high turbine hall and a boiler house, which is the same length but 105ft wide by 170ft high. Both are of steel framed construction, clad with aluminum and glazed. The roofs are of lightweight aluminium decking. The combined volumes of the main buildings represent 27cu ft/KW of installed capacity compared with 26.3 cu ft/KW for the A Station. There are two 450ft and two 550ft high chimneys serving the ‘A’ and ‘B’ boiler houses respectively.
The coal handling equipment installed at Blyth consists of conveyor systems integrated to feed both stations as necessary. The consumption of coal averages 51,000 tonnes per week, rising to 70,000 tonnes per week during the winter. In the summer months, when the electricity demand is low, much of the coal supplied to the station is delivered to stock. This gives a suitable reserve supply which can be fed to the power station using the reclaim conveyors. The provision of new “Merry-Go-Round” (MGR) facilities became necessary in 1981 to accept the new high capacity rapid discharge (NBA) wagons adopted by British Rail for the North East rail transport system. The new coal handling equipment was designed to accept all coal deliveries by rail. Each train consists of thirty-six HBA wagons each of 45 tonnes gross weight. The system provides for each train, carrying approximately 1100 tonnes of coal, to be emptied within sixty minutes.
Coal stock handling equipment (Terex)
Limitations imposed by the site boundaries determined that the new facility could not be in the form of a conventional MGR loop which would have allowed the continuous movement of trains. Instead the train arrives on site and pulls onto a reception track. The locomotive uncouples, runs around the wagons, re-couples at the opposite end, then slowly moves over the unloading track hopper and discharges the coal before eventually leaving site. Coal is elevated from the coal handling plant by conveyor systems. A traveling distributor transfers the fuel from the last conveyor belt into the four station bunkers, each of which has a capacity of 2000 tonnes.
Coal pulverising mill
After pulverising, the coal is transferred by an air stream to the burners. This air is provided by the primary air fan associated with each mill. To permit the heat release from the fuel to follow the steam requirements of the generating sets, the raw coal is fed into the mills by rotary table feeders. These are driven by constant speed motors through variable gearboxes, the speeds of which are regulated by the automatic control system. Each of the four Babcock – Wilcox boilers has twenty, 26 inch diameter horizontal flame, circular type burners feeding pulverised fuel (P.F) into the furnace. In addition there are twelve pressure-atomised oil burners, with automatic propane ignition. These burners, used for starting up purposes and maintaining flame stability, are operated remotely from the unit control room. The oil is stored in two 10,000 tonne storage tanks, and is heated before being sprayed into the furnace at a pressure of about 550 p.s.i. Under full load conditions each boiler is capable of evaporating continuously 860,000 pounds of water per hour and converting it into steam at a pressure of 1,600 p.s.i. at a temperature of 543°C. The inlet water temperature under these conditions is 230°C, heat having been obtained from the feed water heating system associated with each turbine. Additional heat is taken from the flue gases by means of low temperature, high temperature, and topping economisers. The radiant furnace has a volume of 86,000 cubic feet and the steam raising area of the water walls and boiler tubes is 16,750 square feet. These tubes are 3 inches outside diameter with 0.348 inches wall thickness. Steam leaves the boiler drum and passes through three banks of super-heaters where its temperature is further increased.
The Primary Super-heater with a surface area of 18,875 square feet, has a horizontal inlet section and a pendant outlet section. It receives convected heat from the flue gases leaving the secondary super-heater zones. From the bunkers the coal descends to the pulverising mills where it is ground to a fine powder. There are five mills for each boiler, each of which is individually driven by a 160 h.p. induction motor. Each mill can handle up to 15 tonnes of coal per hour and four mills are sufficient to maintain the boiler at full output. It is therefore possible, under normal circumstances, to keep one mill in reserve or under maintenance. The Radiant Superheater, having a surface area of 3700 square feet, receives convected heat from gases leaving the furnace and radiant heat from the P.F. flames. The pendant Secondary Superheater has a surface area of 15,000 square feet. This receives convected heat from the furnace gases and raises the steam temperature to 543°C before it passes to the turbine. In the rear gas pass of the boiler, adjacent to the Primary Superheater, is the Reheater which has an effective heating area of 41.900 square feet. In conformity with modern practice a reheat cycle has been adopted, whereby the steam having expanded partially through the turbine, is returned to the boiler to receive more energy in the form of heat before being returned to the turbine for further expansion Development of the reheat cycle was pioneered in the North East of England at Blaydon Power Station in 1916 and at North Tees A Power Station in 1919. Operational experience was gained between 1933 and 1950 on the reheat plant installed at Dunston B Power Station . The reheat steam entering the boiler is at a pressure of 422 p.s.i. and is heated from 369°C to 541 °C before returning to the turbine. The hot gases can be prevented from passing through the reheater and the primary superheater by means of ganged dampers which divert the gases, so providing regulation of both superheat and reheat steam temperatures. Spray type desuperheaters give a fine adjustment of superheat temperature to within ± 8°C and spray type desuperheaters are also provided for emergency control of the reheat temperature. Each boiler is equipped with automatic boiler control. Variations in main steam pressure are detected and transmitted to the forced draught (FD) fans and pulverising mills causing the necessary change in fuel and combustion air to be made to maintain the boiler output. A change in the air condition alters the pressure in the combustion chamber; This pressure change is used to control the induced draught (ID) fans.
Each boiler has two FD fans, driven by 370 horsepower 3.3kV motors, operating at 730 rpm. These fans are mounted at ground level and take in warm air from the top of the boiler house at the rate of 145,000 cu ft/min. The air is passed through a horizontal tubular air heater, where it takes in additional heat from the flue gases before passing to the boiler. The two I.D. fans are driven by two-speed (730/585 rpm) motors, each of 800/435 hp and 3.3kV. Each .fan extracts gases at a maximum rate of 225,000 cu ft/min at 132°C. Both FD and ID fans have radial inlet vane control. Dust is extracted from the flue gases by cellular dust collectors and electrostatic precipitators, with a combined efficiency of 99.3%
‘A’ Station Turbo Generators
The four Metropolitan Vickers,120MW, 3,000 rpm turbo generators are operated on the unit principle of combining a boiler, turbo generator and their principal auxiliaries as a single operating unit. There are thus no connections between the separate units, the only common services being those of the station transformer supplies used for starting up purposes, circulating water, town water and treated make-up water. The turbines are of impulse design and have three, in- line, single casing cylinders. The high pressure (H.P.) and intermediate pressure (I.P.) cylinders are arranged in contra flow to balance out residual thrust and the low pressure (L.P.) cylinder is of double flow construction. To keep the length of the machine to a minimum, the ‘close coupled’ technique has been adopted and the three shafts, which are solidly connected, are supported on four bearings only. Steam at turbine stop valve conditions of 1500 p.s.i. and 538°C passes via loop pipes to the admission belt of the H.P. cylinder and expands towards the governor end through a velocity compounded stage and eight impulse stages before leaving the H.P. cylinder and returning to the boiler for reheating. Bled steam for No. 6 feed water heater is tapped from the H.P. turbine exhaust pipe work. After reheating, steam enters the I.P. cylinder through two interceptor valve chests and loop pipes, expanding towards the alternator through thirteen irrapuls® stages. Steam for Nos. 5 and 4 feed water headers i^bte* after four and eight re^ectWIywthstea’m for the No. 3 deaerator heater being taken from the I.P. exhaust. Steam entering the L.P. cylinder divides into two flows and exhausts to the condenser after expanding through six stages. The final two stages of each flow form ‘Baumann multi exhausts’ which give an increased exhaust annulus area for a given blade length. Bled steam for Nos. 2 and 1 feed water heaters is taken after stages 1 and 3 of each flow respectively. The guaranteed steam and heat consumptions of the turbo generators are 6.726 lb/kWh and 8.232 BTU/kWh, respectively. The hydrogen cooled alternators generate at 13.8kV and have an output of 120MW at 0.8 power factor with a hydrogen pressure of 30 p.s.i. Four coolers, embodied in the stator casing, transfer the heat in the hydrogen to a distilled water circuit, and the distilled water is in turn cooled by heat exchangers which transfer the heat to the main circulating water system. Excitation is provided by gear driven, air cooled, pilot and main exciters running at 991 rpm. To enable the exciter to have a short time response to voltage changes, an amplidyne system has been used which forces the field of the main exciter as required by the automatic voltage regulator. Manual control of excitation is provided by a field rheostat.
Condensing & Feed Water Systems
The steam from the turbine exhaust is converted back into water in the condenser, and in so doing produces a vacuum which lowers the “back pressure” of the turbine thus increasing the efficiency and output of the machine. The condensers are of twin, two-pass design and with a total cooling surface of 70,000 square feet. They are designed to give a vacuum of 28.9 inches of mercury when supplied with 3,420,000 gallons of water per hour at a temperature of 11.7°C. Condensed water is extracted by two, 100 per cent duty pumps and air is removed by three Leblanc type motor-drive rotary air pumps. After extraction, the water passes through a drains cooler and then through the first low-pressure feed water heater, where steam bled off the low pressure stages of the turbine expansion adds more heat It then passes through a gland heater, where waste steam leaking along the labyrinth glands on the shaft gives up heat, through the second low pressure heater and finally enters the combined deaerator heater. Here, in addition to receiving more bled steam heat, the water is cleared of entrained air and gases. The outlet of the deaerator connects to the suction of two 100 per cent duty booster feed pumps which are driven by 850 horsepower, 1500 rpm, 3.3kV motors. The booster pump discharge is then passed through three high pressure feed water heaters to the two 100 per cent duty main feed pumps which are driven by 2650 horsepower, 300 rpm 3.3kV motors.
Main Feed Pumps
Although the booster and main feed pump motors are started together from one circuit breaker, the design is such that the booster pumps are up to speed before the main pumps and a positive water pressure is maintained at the main pump inlet. After leaving the main pumps the water passes into the boiler drum via the economiser. ../images/Main Feed Pumps2.jpg Main Feed Pumps Make-up for the boiler feed water system is obtained from the town’s mains through a demineralisation plant. In this plant, organic matter is first removed by flocculation and pressure filtration. Condensers beneath turbine.
Condensers beneath turbine
Condensers beneath turbine The filtered water passes through cation exchange units which convert the dissolved salts to acids. Carbon dioxide is removed in a scrubbing tower and the acids and most silica are removed in anion exchange units. Finally the water passes through the mixed bed exchange units which remove all the residual impurities to give a water of very high purity. The final treated water has a conductivity of less than 0.1 dionic units and a silica content less than 0.01 parts per million. This is essential to reduce the risk of boiler corrosion and of damage to the turbine plant.
Switchgear & Electrical
Each machine has its own 13.8kV/3.3kV unit transformer, solidly connected to the alternator terminals and rated at 10MVA. The 3.3kV system is used to power the major auxiliaries. For starting there are two 10MVA station transformers drawing power from the 66kV system and reducing the voltage to 3.3kV. Lower voltage supplies are taken from the 3.3kV system through 3.3kV/415V auxiliary transformers. ../images/Indoor substation2.jpg Indoor substation The site is connected to both the 66kV and 275kV systems. All generator transformers are of 145MVA rating but the first three machines have a voltage ratio of 13.8/66 and feed into the 66kV system whereas generator transformer 4 has a 13.8/275 voltage ratio and feeds into the 275kV grid system. The 66kV indoor substation contains 24 small oil volume circuit breakers for switching :- Generators 1, 2 and 3 North Eastern Electricity Board Feeders Two 145MVA transformers connecting with the 275kV substation Bus couplers and Section switches.
Unit Control Rooms
There are two control rooms situated on the operating floor. Each serves two units and contains all the instrumentation and controls necessary to operate the boilers, turbo generators and auxiliary plant. These include the displaying and recording of levels, pressures and temperatures, associated with steam, water, flue gases and air, along with the control and operation of the pulverising mills, boiler draught plant and feed water systems, etc. Associated with each turbine, but outside the unit control rooms, are four consoles housing the valves, turbovisory gear and instrumentation used for starting up, running and closing down the turbines.
‘B’ Station Boiler Plant
The two assisted circulation, tangent tube boiler units have twin furnaces – superheater and reheater – connected to a common steam and water drum. The boilers for Units Nos. 7 and 8 were constructed by Clarke Chapman & Co. There are five 40 tonne/hr Babcock & Wilcox pressure type 10E pulverising fuel mills per boiler driven by 450 h.p. 3.3kV 950 rpm motors. Each mill has one primary air fan with an air capacity of 62,000 cu ft/min driven by a 540 h.p. 1480 rpm motor. Two mills feed each furnace; the centre mill can feed either furnace as required. Babcox & Wilcox 10E pulverising mill
Babcox & Wilcox 10E pulverising mill
The two 350,000 cu ft/min F.D. fans per boiler are driven by 590 rpm, 1370 h.p. motor and supply combustion air to the burners via the two rotary air heaters which raise the air temperature to 271 °C. There are forty-eight 11,200 lb/hr p.f. burners per boiler, arranged in groups of six at each furnace corner. For lighting up there are 24 recirculating tip fixed oil burners, push button operated from the unit control panel. Each burner has a capacity of 3,300 Ibs/hr when operating in high mode and 2,200lbs/hr in low mode. The boiler gases leaving the economisers pass through rotary air heaters, mechanical cellular dust extractors and electrostatic precipitators to the I.D. fans and then to the flue. There are two 520,000 cu ft/min two speed 740/590 rpm I.D. fans driven by 2000/1400 h.p. motors. The guaranteed efficiency of these boilers is 89.95 per cent on the gross calorific value of the fuel and have a maximum continuous evaporative capacity of 2,350 lb/hr with a feed water temperature of 260°C. The superheater outlet steam conditions are 2400 p.s.i. at 269°C with reheating at 594p.s-i.from 372 to 569°C. Four circulating pumps are provided for each boiler, rated at 8.800 gal/min against a 136ft head with water at 0.595 specific gravity. The steam temperature at the superheater outlets is automatically controlled by the operation of tilting burners in conjunction with two spray type desuperheaters to regulate the final steam temperature at 569°C ± 8°C between 70 and 100 maximum continuous rating under specified operating conditions. The spray desuperheaters are arranged for automatic bias control and automatic operation at minimum burner angle. The reheat outlet temperature is similarly controlled using the reheat furnace tilting burners and emergency spray desuperheaters.
Units 7 and 8 Turbo Generators
Manufactured by English Electric, are four cylinder, 3000 rpm, reheat machines each with a design rating of 350MW. The high pressure (H.P.) cylinder is of the reversed flow design, having a double casing at the higher pressure end. The intermediate (1.P.) cylinder has a partial double casing but is of straight flow construction. Two low pressure (L.P.) cylinders, each of double flow construction, exhaust to separate condensers. The turbine shafts are solidly connected to the hydrogen cooled alternator. The alternator stator conductors are directly cooled with water which is pumped around a closed system. Steam from the H.P. steam chests passes through the H.P. cylinder outer casing about half way along its length and enters the admission belts of the inner cylinder before expanding successively through eight stages of blading. The first five stages are housed within the inner casing, the steam expanding towards the governor end. The flow direction is then reversed and the steam passes over the inner casing. Further expansion takes place through the three remaining stages contained in the outer casing before the steam returns to the boiler for reheating. Bled steam for No. 7 feed water heater is taken from the H . P. exhaust piping. Steam enters the seven stage 1.P. cylinder from the reheater through two interceptor valve chests. Two loop pipes from each chest are connected to four steam admission pipes which pass through the outer casing to the inner casing admission belt. The steam expands successively through three stages of blading housed in the inner casing and then through four stages contained in the outer casing, before exhausting to the L.P. cylinders. Bled steam for No. 6 feed water heater is taken from after the third stage and passed over the inner cylinder before leaving the turbine. Nos. 5 and 4 feed water heaters receive their steam supply from after stage five and the 1. P. cylinder exhaust. Exhaust steam from the 1.P. cylinder enters the four flows of the L.P. cylinders and expands through two impulse and three reaction stages before exhausting to the condensers through 36in long last row blades. Steam for No. 3 feed water heater is bled from the LP.2 cylinder after the first stages, for No. 2 heater from L.P.I after the second stages, and for No. 1 heater from both cylinders after the third stages. The guaranteed steam and heat consumptions of the turbo generators are 6.3586 lb/kWh and 7,525 BTU per kWh respectively.
Unit 8 Turbo Generator
Excitation is provided by static rectifiers and an AC generator coupled to the main shaft. The main feed pump is separately powered by a bled steam turbine which forms an integral part of the feed heating system, providing bled steam for Nos. 5 and 4 feed water heaters. The introduction of 36in long last row blades in the ‘B’ Station turbo-generators was a significant advancement in turbine technology. They were the first turbines in the world, rotating at 3000 rpm, to have blades of this length. When the shaft is running at full speed the velocity of the blade tip is 1780 ft/sec with each blade exerting a centrifugal force of 112 tonnes at the root fastening . The 36in blades provide a much larger exhaust area than was previously attainable, enabling turbines to be designed for greater power outputs. This led directly to the present day single shaft, 3000 rpm turbines with power outputs of up to 660MW. Condensing & feed water systems Units 7 and 8 have twin-shell condensers with a total cooling surface of 210,000 sq ft. Two 100 per cent duty extraction pumps are used, each rated at 180,000 gal/hr and driven by 3.3kV, 800 h.p. motors at 740 rpm. Three 50 per cent duty air pumps can each deal with 204lb of dry air per hour. ../images/B Condensers2.jpg Condensers beneath turbine There are seven stages of feed heating consisting of three LP heaters, one deaerator heater and three HP heaters. Feed water is heated by bled steam from the turbine at a temperature of 252°C. The three 50 per cent duty booster feed pumps, each rated at 2440 gal/min and with a discharge pressure of 980 p.s.i., are driven by 2150 h.p. 1485 rpm motors. The two 50 per cent duty standby/starting boiler feed pumps, each rated at 276 / gal/min and having a discharge pressure of 2800 p.s.i., are driven by 4750 h.p. variable speed motors. The 100 per cent duty main feed pump is rated at 5,150 gal/min with a suction pressure of 900 p.s.i. and a discharge pressure of 2800 p.s.i. It is driven by an 8100 h.p. English Electric bled steam turbine. The 610 p.s.i. steam supply for this turbine is taken from the cold reheat line at the main H.P. turbine exhaust. After passing through the bled steam turbine it exhausts into the deaerator. A bleed point is also incorporated on the bled steam turbine, supplying steam for No. 5 h.p. feed water heater. Control of the boiler feed water flow is affected by speed variations of the standby/starting and main feed pumps. Feed regulating valves are provided only to control the low flows experienced during starting up and shutting down.
Circulating Water System
The arrangement of the ‘B’ Station cooling water system is similar to that of ‘A’ Station. Water is extracted from the head of the Blyth harbour tidal basin and discharged to the sea off Cambois beach below low tide level. The four vertical spindle, single entry, mixed flow C.W. pumps have a head of 57ft. They are driven through reduction gears by an 11 kV 3,250 h.p. 988 rpm motor to give an output, in each case, of 147,500gal/min at 185 rpm. The reinforced concrete pump volutes are cast integral with the pump foundations, which represented a new engineering development at the time of the station’s design. Cooling water is circulated by a ring main and flows through the condensers of each turbine at a rate of 155,000 gal/min.
Control of the two Units in the ‘B’ Station is from one central control room. A central generator teaming desk is surrounded by a central console for the various electrical. systems, with the unit control and recorder panels-around the perimeter of the room. Unit loading instructions are received at the generator loading desk direct from the grid control centre. Synchronising, generator switching ..and main electrical switching are carried out from the electrical system control console. In each corner of the room there is a suite of panels for the control of a single unit comprising a control console and separate recorder panel. These panels carry the controls and instrumentation necessary to start up, run and close down the unit.
Switchgear & Electrical
Each machine has its own unit transformer connected solidly to the alternator terminals to provide 11kV supplies. These step-down transformers are rated at 30MVA foor Units 7 and 8. The 11 kV system is used to power the major auxiliaries. For starting purposes there are two 30MVA station transformers drawing power from the 66kV substation and reducing the voltage to 11kV. Lower voltage supplies are provided by auxiliary transformers which reduce the voltage to 3.3kV and 415 volts. This substation contains eighteen air blast circuit breakers of 15.000MVA rating, used for switching the infeeds and the feeders connecting the station with the grid system. Lower voltage supplies are provided by auxiliary transformers which reduce the voltage to 3.3kV and 415 volts. The generator transformers are rated at 400MVA. They have a voltage ratio of 19.5/275kV and are connected, along with Unit 4 and the two 66/275kV grid transformers, as in feeds to the 275kV substation. This substation contains eighteen air blast circuit breakers of 15,000 MVA rating, used for switching the in feeds and the feeders connecting the station with the grid system.
Ash and Dust Disposal
Ash is removed by high pressure water jets from the boiler bottom ash hoppers and transported down sluiceways at high velocity, via ash crushers to the ash sump. Ash pumps then discharge the ash into settling ponds. Dust from the precipitators and mechanical grit arresters is conveyed by pneumatic gravity conveyors (air slides) to collector hoppers. Each hopper forms an integral part of a dust pump which conveys the dust by means of a scroll shaft to a mixing chamber. Three-stage development
Air from large capacity radial vane compressors enters the mixing chamber via nozzles and transports the dust down pipelines to silos adjacent to the coal stock. Dry dust from the silos, conditioned by adding water to avoid dust nuisance, is sent for sale or to the ash disposal scheme. This scheme is being developed in three stages. The dust is compacted, landscaped and covered with soil. Grass and other vegetation is then planted to form a natural landscape feature.
Our first encounter is with a remarkable man who was a merchant, soldier, playwright, opera impresario, landscape architect and possible spy. Sir John Vanbrugh was also a rather good architect. In 1714 he built the original Morpeth Town Hall and between 1718–29 he built Seaton Delaval Hall. It has been described as ‘architecture for the storm and driving cloud, for sombre ships and battering sea’. Both Vanbrugh and his client, Admiral Delaval, were dead before the Hall was completed. Unfortunately, fires in 1752 and 1822 destroyed most of the interior. The park and garden associated with the Hall are of outstanding interest and contain a mausoleum, orangery, ice house and an 18-metre high obelisk marking the point of Admiral Delaval’s fatal fall from his horse in 1823. The long tree-lined avenue from Seaton Delaval makes an impressive approach to the Hall but it’s such a pity that Vanbrugh’s stone arch at the town end of the Avenue has been demolished.
A Brief History of Blyth
The earliest record of coal mining in the town is in Cowpen in 1315, the pit belonged to the Convent in Tynemouth. In 1690, the Blyth Coal Company was formed, bringing with it the famous Plessey Waggonway. By the eighteenth century, the Ridley family dominated the coal trade, owning all the Plessey Collieries and Blyth’s only shipping Quay. Ship-building in the town can be traced back to the mid eighteenth century. The Blyth Shipyard (around where the Euroseas Dry Docks now stand) specialised in transport, particularly colliers, diversifying in the early nineteenth century to turn out convict ships. During the First World War, Blyth built the first ever aircraft carrier, the “Ark Royal”.
Blyth is best known as an industrial port in south east Northumberland. It lies on the south bank of the River Blyth and the range of finds made here extends its history back thousands of years. Archaeologists in the area have discovered various materials dating back to the Bronze Age, Iron Age and in the nineteenth century when the Roman coin was found when the dry dock was being built. There is much speculation about the existence of a Roman camp together with older encampments from the Vikings and later in the English Civil War.
Although there are no traces of the Medieval Harbour at Blyth, it is recorded in historic documents, together with references to fishing in salt pans. Medieval villages also stood at Cowpen and Newsham. The town of Blyth grew as a result of its economic rise. There are many fine buildings from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. An historic core of houses stands on Bath Terrace, the diverse background of the miners and their families led to the building of many Churches and Chapels, including Blyth United Reformed Church, Church of St Cuthbert and the Church of our Lady and Wilfrid, the latter eventually becoming the Parish Church. Other structures fulfilled specific roles of entertainment at the Cinema, and legal office at the Police Station and Harbour Commissioner’s Offices.
Blyth Valley’s other important houses are Holywell Manor House of 1854 for Sir Ralph Bates; the 17thcentury Plessey Hall; the 18th-century Cramlington Hall; and Arcot Hall. The latter was built for George Shum-Storey, an Indian adventurer who was present at the siege of Arcot, near Madras. It dates from the late 18th century and is now used as a golf club.
East Hartford Farmhouse
The little-known East Hartford Farmhouse is an unusual Northumberland example from the Jacobean period. Lookout Farm, opposite Seaton Delaval Hall, shows the influence of Vanbrugh in its steep-stepped gables and blocked semi-circular windows. Its farm buildings have recently been converted to house people rather than animals. By the mid-19th century model farm buildings were becoming popular on the large estates. Good examples are those off the north side of the A192 at West Hartford – a barn, horse engine house and cart sheds built around a south-facing yard. Dated 1861, with initials ‘MWR’ (Matthew White Ridley), they were built for the Blagdon Estate. Windmills and watermills were once a common part of the rural scene. Near the Plessey Checks Roundabout are the ruins of a windmill tower of 1749, standing only a short distance from Plessey Mill, an 18thcentury watermill. Neither mill retains any original machinery.
It’s impossible to travel far without the aid of bridges. Hartford Bridge over the River Blyth has medieval origins and was partially rebuilt in 1904.The railways are represented by the fine five-arch viaduct in Plessey Woods. Two stone bridges over the Seaton Burn are also listed: a 17th-century bridge west of the A192 road bridge and an 18th-century bridge at New Hartley West Farm. From here we can follow the Seaton Burn to the coast and harbour at Seaton Sluice.
In the 1760s the harbour was improved by driving an artificial cut through the surface rock to provide safer access and a wet dock. It closed in the 1870s but there are several interesting associated remains, including the Octagon, formerly the Harbour Master’s Office, a sluice gate and a cast iron turntable mechanism used in the monitoring of ships through the cut. The last coal shipment left the port in 1861. Surprisingly, few remnants of the area’s mining history have been Listed, the one example being a former mine owner’s house on the north side of Double Row which was later used as the National Coal Board’s pay office.
Harbour Commissioners’ Office and Police Station
In Blyth, Bridge Street contains two of the town’s finest buildings. The Harbour Commissioners’ Offices of 1913 is built on a curving corner site. Inside, it contains a panelled boardroom with ornate painted Dutch glazed tiles taken from the SS Walmer Castle which was broken up in Blyth in 1932. Over the road is the Police Station of 1896 in the Italianate Gothic style; architectural historian Sir Nikolaus Pevsner considered it to be the best building in the town. Nearby, in Bath Terrace, can be found an impressive group of early 19th-century brick houses.
Blyth Links Wartime History
The buildings associated with a defence electric light station used to pinpoint German battleships. Further south is the remains of a First World War coastal defence fort within the grounds of Fort House, now used by the local authority as a base for the Coastal Warden. Nearly all these buildings are constructed in concrete, the most unusual of which is a pillbox incorporating a lavatory which is said to be unique in the north of England. Those lost during the Wars are remembered at the Listed war memorials at Miners Welfare Park Cramlington, Cowpen and Blyth Ridley park.
Imaginatively named after its proprietor Walter Lawson. It opened in 1937 and is regarded as a rare example of a streamlined modern (Art Deco) cinema; it has a rich collection of original internal features and fixtures surviving intact. In 2011 J. D. Weatherspoon’s Inns submitted a planning application to use the list building as a public house venue.
Information about public houses etc that have been part of the Blyth scene over the years. Many of the buildings can be viewed in the gallery “Buildings of Blyth” below. If you have any information or pictures of these old pubs and clubs please send them in.
Astley Arms: Seaton Sluice, on the site of the Boiling Well which closed 1910.
Bar BHT: Bridge Street, refer to ‘The Quay’, ‘Brewery Bar’ and Boathouse Tavern for its chequered history.
Bebside & Cowpen Social Club: In the Sidney Hall 1951-58.
Bebside Inn: Situated just over the railway lines on Bebside Front Street. This pub has had more lives than a cat!!, opened once more in early 2011 under new management.
Bebside Memorial Club & Institute: After a major fire it was closed in 1970, reopened 1974 as the Bebside Social Welfare Centre.
Bebside Social Welfare Centre: After the original building was destroyed by fire, a smaller purpose built club was formed. Club went into decline and closed in 2013, land sold for redevelopment.
BeeJays Night Club: Stanley Street. Blyth’s only Nite Spot. (closed)
Blackbull: Sussex Street.
Blagdon Arms: Burt Street. Closed 1971.
Blyth & District Club Social Club: Keelman’s Terrace, closed and demolished in 2010/11.
Blyth Golf Club: Plessey Road.
Blyth Rugby and Cricket Club: Plessey Road.
Blyth Spartans Social Club: Croft Park.
Blyth Spartans AFC Supporters Club: Croft Park
Blyth and Tyne: Turner/Regent Street, named after the railway company which build the original rail link to Blyth from Newcastle.
Blyth Sports and Social Club: Coomassie Road.
Blyth United Services Club: Bowes Street.
Boathouse Tavern: Bridge Street. This pub was probably built in the late 17th century. It is believed to be the oldest building in Blyth. A brewery was once attached to the rear of the building, though this has now been demolished. This is a Grade II listed building protected by law.
Boiling Well: Seaton Sluice, see Astley Arms.
Brewery Bar: Bridge Street, renamed ‘Pilot Cutter’ 1967.
British Rail Staff Association: (Blyth) (Bandroom) Edward Street, closed and demolished, a care home now occupies the site.
British Rail Staff Association (North Blyth): opened 1954.
Brown Bear Inn: High Pans North Blyth.
Buffalo: Regent Street, rebuilt 1899. Now in use as the Buffalo Community Centre.
Cowpen Colliery Inn: Marlowe Street the present building dates from 1900 when it was built as the Cowpen Colliery Hotel. Throughout most of its life this pub has always been known as The ‘Top House’ and that applies today.
Cowpen Coronation Club: King Street, club closed and the building used by various businesses.
Cowpen & Newsham Comrades Club: Wright Street. Name change 1970?
Croft Arms: Regent Street. The name of the pub was changed to The Porthole in 1974. In 1996 the name was changed again to ‘Joe Cavner’s’ after the owner’s late father. Later it became the Reef Hotel, and is now a Bed and Breakfast .
Delaval Arms: Old Hartley.
Dirty Nelly’s Irish Pub: Within the Star and Garter Hotel, Bridge Street.
Duke of Wellington Club: Cowpen Road, North Farm (Burt Street from 1903 -1963).
Dun Cow Inn: Low Quay, formerly the Brown Cow.
Folly Inn: Shankhouse. closed 1989 [Demolished]
Foresters Arms: Cowpen Road, Kitty Brewster.
Fox & Hounds: King Street, [Demolished]
Globe: Waterloo Road. [Closed]
Golden Fleece Inn: Cowpen Square, [Demolished]
Grey Horse: …………
Gwentland Hotel: Wensleydale Terrace, renamed as The Ridley Park Hotel, building demolished 2013.
Half Moon Inn: Is shown at on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1865.
High Street Social Club: Formerly Bolckow’s.
Horse & Waggon: King Street, [Demolished]
Irish Club: Wright Street, [Demolished]
Joe Cavner’s: Regent Street.
Joiners Arms: Coomassie Road.
Kings Arms: Seaton Sluice. Directory of 1827 mentions the Post Office.
Kitty Brewster Hotel: Cowpen Road, Bebside. Opened originally before 1873, name changed in 1976 from ‘Foresters Arms’. In 2010 changed it’s name to The Kitty Brewster Inn.
Kitty Brewster Inn: Cowpen Road, Bebside. Opened originally before 1873, name changed in 1976 from ‘Foresters Arms’, to Kitty Brewster Hotel. In 2010 changed name again to the Kitty Brewster Inn. [Closed] and changed into retail shop unit.
Labour Club: Thoroton Street [Closed]
Last Orders: Regent Street, previously called The Pullman.
Laurel & Hardy’s: Regent Street
Link House: (Previously Half Moon?)
Lord Nelson: (Formerly ‘Dock House’?) High Quay.
Market Hotel: Opened in Market Street before 1873 and was closed in 1982. The ‘Market’ was one of the town centre pubs which closed due to lack of customers. Others which closed for the same reason include: The Globe, The White Swan, The Station Hotel and The Commercial Inn. Was an Iceland frozen foods store until 2015, now used by Savers.
Masons Arms: Plessey/Coomassie Road.
Melton Constable: Seaton Sluice.
Miners Arms: Marlow Street, next door to the Cowpen Colliery Inn, now closed and demolished.
Miners Arms: Newsham.
Miners Welfare Cowpen & Crofton: Renwick Road, [Closed] now used by Homes For Northumberland.
Nags Head: ……
New Delaval and Newsham Workmen’s Club: Wharton Street Newsham, known locally as (the side club).
Newsham Discharge Soldiers & Sailors Victory Club: The Vic.
Newsham Hotel: Carr Street.
Nikhs: Stanley Street, Blyth’s No 1 nightclub previously BEEJAYS
North Farm: (Temple’s Farm) situated on Cowpen Road at the top of Hodgon’s Road, [Closed] now Kwikfit occupy the site – 2008 – 2017.
Northumberland Arms: ……
Oddfellows Arms: Northumberland/Bridge Street rebuilt 1887. It closed in June 2010 and reopened again under the same name with new owners August 2010
Olivers Wine Bar: Bridge Street, owned and run by local businessman Ron McCall.
Percy Arms: Brierley Road, Cowpen, previously named as the Red House.
Pilot Cutter: (ref Brewery Bar).
Pineapple Inn: Regent/Turner Street, [Closed], building now used by National & Westminster Bank.
Port of Call: Was previously the “Eagle”, opened and closed within six months in 2016.
Post Office: Bridge Street, built as the owner believed on the premises of the old post office in Freehold Street, the actual original site is adjacent to the new public house.
Prince of Wales: Waterloo Road.
Queens Head: King Street [Closed], now a Chinese restaurant.
R.A.F. Club: ……
Railway Hotel: Regent/Turner Street.
Red House: Cowpen Estate, see also Percy Arms.
Ridley Arms: Cambois.
Ridley Park Hotel: Wensleydale Terrace. Changed its name from the Gwentland Hotel in 1979 when it gained its first liquor license, [Closed], and demolished 2013.
Rose & Crown: Kitty Brewster.
Royal Engineers Association Club: Stanley Street, previously Percy Street.
Seaton Sluice Social Club: (Waterford Club 1913 – 1959)
The Ship: Was situated in Albert Street and faced the shipyard gates, it was formerly known as the Plessey Sports Club. The Ship Inn at Crofton is marked at this site on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1865. There is nothing to be seen at the site now.
Sidney Arms: Cowpen Road, demolished 2003, now a housing estate.
South Beach: South Beach Estate, built in 1977.
Station Hotel: Church Street [Closed], now a building society.
Steamboat Inn: (Star & Garter) Bridge Street, closed in 2010 currently being renovated for NaRec as a hostel facility for their work personnel.
Sun Inn: Gregory Street.
Taplow’s Wine Bar: Corner of Maddison Street & Regent Street. Closed and demolished.
The Black Diamond: Carr Street, Newsham. [Closed] now renovated as a local General Dealers shop.
The Croft: Regent Street. The name of the pub was changed to The Porthole in 1974. In 1996 the name was changed again to ‘Joe Cavner’s’ after the owner’s late father.
The Dun Cow: The Dun Cow on the quayside. Closed and demolished.
The Eagle: Cowpen Farm Estate. Built in 1974 – for one year 1974-1975 it was called Ye Olde England, then changed to The Golden Eagle, then called The Eagle. Now renamed as The Port of Call
The Flying Horse: Waterloo Road.
The Gladstone Arms: Burt Street.Closed and demolished.
The Horse and Wagon: The public house is marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1865. There is nothing to be seen at the site now.
The Isabella: Southend Ave.
The Kings Arms: Cowpen Road.
The Pullman: Regent Street, closed in 2010, now renamed as Last Orders.
The Quay: Bridge Street, originally the Blyth and Tyne Brewery built in 1784,used as a brewery until 1916. It was known as the Brewery Bar, then the Boat House Tavern then Bar BHT and now it is called The Quay.
The Reef: Regent Street(Formerly Joe Caner’s Bar). Closed and now a hostel.
The Ridley Arms: Built as a private house in 1788 for George Marshall a local ship owner and rope maker. It became a public house in the early 19th century and closed in 1965, the license was transferred to the Seahorse Hotel on the 6th May 1966 and the building demolished in 1968.
The Royal Tavern: (Formerly The Royal Tavern Hotel) corner of Plessey Road and Beaconsfield Street.
The Sea Horse: Plessey Road, the license was transferred from the Ridley Arms on 6th May 1966, the Ridley in Old Northumberland Street was demolished shortly after in 1968.
The Seven Stars: North Blyth, The Seven Stars public house was opened before 1822 and closed in 1967. It was very popular with seamen waiting for their ships to be loaded with cargoes of coal from the Staiths on the north side of the river. At the demise of the coal industry the number of customers was so reduced it resulted in its closure.
The Spartan Hotel: Twelfth Ave.
The Top House: The present building dates from 1900 when it was built as the Cowpen Colliery Hotel. Throughout most of its life this pub has always been known as The ‘Top House’ and that applies today.
The Waterloo: Havelock Street.
The Willow Tree: Newsham.
Thoroton Hotel: Renwick Road. Closed as a public house and now ran as a B&B.
Three Horseshoes: High Horton, Bebside.
Time Out: King Street.
Travellers Rest: Regent Street, the pub was opened before 1873, rebuilt in 1897 and demolished in September 1998. It was originally one of the finest buildings in Blyth but never achieved its full potential as a hotel. After a chequered career, and standing derelict for several years, it was finally demolished in 1998.
Tyne: Headquarters of the Royal Northumberland Yacht Club.
Turks Head: Newsham.
Victoria Inn: (Gregory Street?)
Waggon Inn: (near Police Station)
Waterford Arms: Seaton Sluice.
Waterloo Social Club: Waterloo Road, (Meldram House/formerly Buffalo Club)
Westoe: Burt Street.
White Swan: Waterloo Road.
Windmill Inn: Cowpen Road, closed and reopened as a Spar shop in 2016.
Ye Olde England: Built in 1974 for one year until 1975 it was called Ye Olde England then changed its name to The Golden Eagle. More recently it has changed names again to The Eagle.